To receive updates and our Praecipe newsletter, register as a subscriber at the link below. It’s absolutely free.
Once you submit the registration form you will be asked to confirm your registration by clicking the link sent to your email address.
Once registered as a subscriber, you may upgrade to member status at any time.
Join or Renew
Get all the benefits of a free account, along with exclusive content and access to VicBar events.
Click below to be redirected to PayPal (or click the “Pay with Credit” on PayPal’s page if you don’t have PayPal) to pay for your membership, you will then be redirected to the registration form to enter your contact details.
If renewing, please ensure you are logged in before clicking below. You will not need to enter your information and the site will recognize your payment once made.
Log in to your member account to see members-only content, purchase event tickets, and more.
More about the Victoria Bar Association:
- Provides Education programs
- Organizes the summer dinner at Deep Cove Chalet and other dinners/lunches
- Organizes social events including the Curling Bonspiel, Golf & Baseball
- Administers the court boxes and the Barristers’ Lounge
- Recognizes lawyers for their significant work in the community and in the practice of law through annual awards including the Pam Murray Award
- Contributes to an endowment fund at the Faculty of Law for the support of law students
- Operates the association’s website vicbar.ca and distributes the Praecipe newsletter
- Facilitates communication of local events to the membership
- Promotes Law Day
- Liaises with Court Services, the Canadian Bar Association, the Law Society, and other law related organizations
- Contributes to law-related projects
VBA membership is a pre-requisite to attend all VBA dinner events.
Who may be a member of the Victoria Bar Association?
Membership in the VBA is intended to be limited to the following categories of people:
- Current practicing or non-practicing members of the Law Society of British Columbia working in or about the County of Victoria;
- Current articled students registered a such with the Law Society of British Columbia working in or about the County of Victoria;
- Current faculty members and students of the University of Victoria – Faculty of Law or other jurists teaching or writing about jurisprudence in or about the County of Victoria;
- Retired members of the Law Society of British Columbia currently residing in or about the County of Victoria;
- Retired judiciary, law school faulty or jurists currently residing in or about the County of Victoria.
Notwithstanding the above, the directors at all times have the discretion:
- to accept as a member anyone who applies to the directors for membership but does not come within any of the categories listed above; or
- to refuse the application for membership of anyone who applies to the directors for membership even if he or she comes within any of the categories listed above.
Part 2 of the VBA Bylaws concerns membership in the VBA but does not identify criteria for membership. The policy above informs the general scope of who may be a member of the VBA under section 4 of the Bylaws.
“County of Victoria” means the judicial division of British Columbia defined as such in section 10 of the County Boundary Act, R.S.B.C. 1996, c. 75.
What do I do with my “free membership” certificate I received at my call ceremony?
If you have received a certificate for free membership as a new Victoria call, please signup as a “subscriber”, then send a “Contact ” request through the this website advising us you have joined and we will then upgrade you to “paid member”.