The Inns of Court Victoria is pleased to announce that it will be hosting a 2-hour in person seminar on the topic of “Estate Planning and Philanthropy”.
- Sara Neely – Ms. Neely is a lawyer and she is the Director of Philanthropic Services at the Victoria Foundation. She works with donors and their professional advisors to facilitate strategic gift planning in support of the causes that are important to them and their families.
- Krista Vaartnou – Ms. Vaartnou is an associate counsel at Farris LLP. Her practice focuses on advising charities and not-for-profit organizations, and trust and estate planning.
- Cody McMullin – Mr. McMullin is an Investment Counsellor with RBC Phillips, Hager & North Investment Counsel and works closely with clients to help them realize what their wealth can achieve for their families, community and for the causes they care most about.
The panelists will be discussing the benefits and opportunities that come with talking about philanthropy with clients, the ways of giving, and how advisors can work together to better serve their client’s interests in supporting their community. Answering the question of “how much is enough?”, hear about a real-life example where the advisors helped their clients realize what they have and the power of what they can achieve with their wealth.
Professional Development Credits: This course offers up to 2 hours of Professional Development Credits (See “How to get PD Credit” below).
When: Wednesday, November 23, 2022
Time: Doors open at 4:30pm in the afternoon. Check–in is between 4:30pm and 5:00pm.
Buffet supper commences at 5:10pm. The program begins at 5:30pm and ends at 7:30pm.
Location: Sticky Wicket Pub, Upstairs called the “Maple Room”
Cost: The cost of the event is $55.00 per person (includes buffet meal) paid to the “Victoria Bar Association”
There are two options to make payment:
- Pay online through the Inns of Court event page at www.Vicbar.ca(click link)
- Pay manually by sending a cheque to Anwar Mujtabah at:
Crease Harman LLP
800 – 1070 Douglas Street
Victoria, BC V8W 2C4
Phone: 250-388-5421, Ext. 114
How to get PD Credit
To get the 2 PD Credits, this is the process after the event has completed:
- Find Law Society “Member Services”
- Select “Member Portal” and enter your information
- Under “Education” select “Continuing Professional Development (CPD)”
- Type the group study name of “Inns of Court” into the “Course/Group Study” name box (leave dates out as this is set up with a date range)
- In the Course/Group Study box type in “Inns of Court”
- From the Drop down menu select “Inns of Court – Victoria”
- Select “Inns of Court Victoria Court (36 Credits) Jan.1 – December 31, 2022” or something similar as the name is undergoing a slight change.
- DO NOT TYPE IN THE NAME OF THIS COURSE WHEN APPLYING FOR CREDITS. YOU WILL NOT FIND IT. YOU DO NOT NEED THE NAME IN ORDER TO CLAIM YOUR 2 HOURS OF CREDIT
- Under “Record your CPD hours” type “2”
- Under “Completion Date” type in the date you took the course
- Select the “Get Credit” Button
You must be a member of the VBA to attend this event. To become a member, see our registration page: https://vicbar.ca/membership-join/