Inns of Court – Victoria Wednesday, June 9, 2021
The Inns of Court Victoria is pleased to announce that it will be hosting a 2-hour Zoom webinar on topics relating to criminal law and Covid-19 on June 9th, 2021.
We have two speakers who will be presenting during the webinar: Dr. Charles Lugosi and Peter Firestone. The Inns of Court Victoria is grateful to for their respective Zoom presentations.
Charles Lugosi will speak on Covid-19 related topics of:
- The criminal liability of public officials who “re-open” or “close” society without testing. See: https://www.jurist.org/commentary/2020/05/charles-lugosi-public-officials-covid19-criminal-negligence/;
- The need for national guidelines for priorities and triage. See: https://www.jurist.org/commentary/2020/04/formulating-national-guidelines-for-icu-triage-during-covid-19/;
- The need for informed consent prior to choosing vaccination against Covid-19;
- Whether people can be legally compelled to be vaccinated, to keep their job or to be travel;
- Whether it is legal for big box stores remain open when churches are forced to close;
- Whether mandatory hotel quarantines to prevent entry into Canada of mutated viruses are futile and illegal, since these viruses are already in the country.
Peter Firestone will speak about:
- The ins-and-outs of Covid-19 protocols in the criminal courts;
- The Charter right to confront one’s accusers in person and why Zoom or Microsoft Teams are not adequate substitutes;
- First person account of conducting a murder preliminary hearing post Covid-19.
Professional Development Credits
This course offers up to 2 hours of Professional Development Credits (See “How to get PD Credit” below).
When: Wednesday, June 9th, 2021 via Zoom Conferencing
Time: 4:00 in the afternoon
Where: At your location, provided you have internet access
Cost: The cost of the event is $15.00 per person paid by Friday June 4, 2021 to the “Victoria Bar Association”
There are two options to make payment:
1. Pay online through the Inns of Court link on the left side of this page; or
2. Pay manually by sending a cheque to Anwar Mujtabah at:
Crease Harman LLP
800 – 1070 Douglas Street
Victoria, BC V8W 2C4
Phone: 250-388-5421, Ext. 114
How to get PD Credit
To get the 2 PD Credits, this is the process after the event has completed:
a) Find Law Society “Member Services”
b) Select “Member Portal” and enter your information
d) Under “Education” select “Continuing Professional Development (CPD)”
e) Type the group study name of “Inns of Court” into the “Course/Group Study” name box (leave dates out as this is set up with a date range).
f) In the Course/Group Study box type in ‘Inns of Court”
g) From the Drop down menu select “Inns of Court – Victoria”
h) Select “Inns of Court Victoria Court (36 Credits) Jan.1 – December 31, 2021” or something similar as the name is undergoing a slight change.
i) DO NOT TYPE IN THE NAME OF THIS COURSE WHEN APPLYING FOR CREDITS. YOU WILL NOT FIND IT. YOU DO NOT NEED THE NAME IN ORDER TO CLAIM YOUR 2 HOURS OF CREDIT.
j) Under “Record your CPD hours” type ‘2’
k) Under “Completion Date” type in the date you took the course
l) Select the “Get Credit” Button