The Inns of Court Victoria is pleased to announce that it will be hosting a 2-hour in-person seminar on the topic of “Ethics”.
- Paul Pearson – crown counsel and bencher for the Victoria County
- Dean Lawton, K.C. – Senior counsel at Carfra Lawton, former bencher for the Victoria County, and former president of the BC Law Society
Both Mr. Pearson and Mr. Lawton will be discussing about the topic of ethics and the situation concerning the single regulator proposal for the law society.
This is currently the only ethics presentation that the Inns of Court is planning to host this year, and we are grateful that it will be presented by current bencher, Mr. Pearson, and former bencher, Mr. Lawton.
Professional Development Credits: This course offers up to 2 hours of Professional Development Credits (See “How to get PD Credit” below).
When: Thursday, April 13, 2023
Time: Doors open at 4:30pm in the afternoon. Check–in is between 4:30pm and 5:00pm.
Buffet supper commences at 5:10pm. The program begins at 5:30pm and ends at 7:30pm.
Location: Sticky Wicket Pub, Upstairs called the “Maple Room”
Cost: The cost of the event is $55.00 per person (includes buffet meal) paid to the “Victoria Bar Association”
There are two options to make payment:
- Pay online through the Inns of Court event page at www.Vicbar.ca (click link)
- Pay manually by sending a cheque to Anwar Mujtabah at:
Crease Harman LLP
800 – 1070 Douglas Street
Victoria, BC V8W 2C4
Phone: 250-388-5421, Ext. 114
How to get PD Credit
To get the 2 PD Credits, this is the process after the event has completed:
- Find Law Society “Member Services”
- Select “Member Portal” and enter your information
- Under “Education” select “Continuing Professional Development (CPD)”
- Type the group study name of “Inns of Court” into the “Course/Group Study” name box (leave dates out as this is set up with a date range)
- In the Course/Group Study box type in ‘Inns of Court”
- From the Drop down menu select “Inns of Court – Victoria”
- Select “Inns of Court Victoria Court (36 Credits) Jan.1 – December 31, 2023” or something similar as the name is undergoing a slight change
- DO NOT TYPE IN THE NAME OF THIS COURSE WHEN APPLYING FOR CREDITS. YOU WILL NOT FIND IT. YOU DO NOT NEED THE NAME IN ORDER TO CLAIM YOUR 2 HOURS OF CREDIT
- Under “Record your CPD hours” type ‘2’
- Under “Completion Date” type in the date you took the course
- Select the “Get Credit” Button
You must be a member of the VBA to attend this event. To become a member, see our registration page: https://vicbar.ca/membership-join/