2023 Inns of Court Series – Professionalism and Ethics for Junior Counsel – Hosted by Sean Finn Featuring Various Local Jurists
The Victoria Bar Association (“VBA”) is grateful to Sean Finn and Monique Dull for hosting a dinner series for articled students and junior lawyers with less than five (5) years of practice regarding issues of professionalism and ethics in the practice of law.
These sessions are designed to be “roundtable” discussions with senior lawyers acting as facilitators rather than lecturing on these topics. The intention is to give articled students and junior counsel a forum within which to discuss the challenges that arise in our day-to-day practice as well as hear how others deal with these sometimes difficult and stressful issues.
At the beginning of the program, learners will be provided with a copy of Chief Justice McEachern’s 2003 paper Ethical and Professional Responsibilities. Each session will focus on a different chapter from this paper.
This year, we will host two sessions in the spring and two more in the fall on the following dates between 5PM and 7PM:
- Tuesday, April 18th, 2023
- Tuesday, May 16th, 2023
- Tuesday, October 17th, 2023
- Tuesday, November 14th, 2023
The Barristers’ Lounge in the 5th floor courthouse library located at 850 Burdett Street.
This program will be offered at no cost to articled students and junior lawyers with less than five (5) years of practice who are members of the VBA. A light catered meal will be served at each session.
Professional Development Credits
Each session offers 1.5 hours of professional development credits.
How to Participate
Once you have paid your VBA membership fee (VBA registration can be completed here: https://vicbar.ca/membership-join/), please email Sean Finn at email@example.com to register for this Inns of Court series.
A valid security card is needed to access the courthouse afterhours, so please visit the sheriff’s office at the courthouse to obtain at least two weeks beforehand.
How to get CPD Credit
To claim your CPD credits, please:
- Find Law Society “Continuing Professional Development”
- Select “Member Portal”
- Enter you information and the select ‘Login’
- Under “Education” select “Continuing Professional Development (CPD)”
- Type the group study name of “Inns of Court – Victoria” into the “Course/Group Study” name box (leave dates out as this is set up with a date range).
- Select “Inns of Court Victoria Course (36 Credits) Jan.1 – December 31, 2023” or something similar as the name is undergoing a slight change.
- DO NOT TYPE IN THE NAME OF THIS COURSE WHEN APPLYING FOR CREDITS. YOU WILL NOT FIND IT. YOU DO NOT NEED THE NAME IN ORDER TO CLAIM YOUR 2 HOURS OF CREDIT.
- Under “Record your CPD hours” type ‘1.5’
- Under “Completion Date” type in the date you took the session.
- Select the “Get Credit” Button