The Inns of Court Victoria is pleased to announce that it will be hosting a 2-hour Zoom webinar on Truth and Reconciliation issues on January 19th, 2022.
We will have four panelists for this presentation:
- Dean Lawton, QC – Former President of the Law Society, and co-chair of the Law Society Truth and Reconciliation Advisory Committee, former Bencher for Victoria County.
- Brittany Goud – Member of the Law Society Indigenous Engagement in Regulatory Matters Task Force, Family Law advocate / Lawyer with the Law Centre, and adjunct professor in the Indigenous Studies program – Camosun College.
- Darcy Lindberg – Assistant Professor, JD/JID program – University of Victoria Faculty of Law.
- Nicole Bresser – Former co-chair of the Law Society Truth and Reconciliation Advisory Committee; lawyer with the Ministry of Attorney General and adjunct professor in the Indigenous Studies program – Camosun College.
We are grateful for their presentations.
The panel will explore different institutional approaches to implementing the Truth and Reconciliation Commissions Calls to Action. The panel will apply their knowledge of working with Indigenous Laws, the Indigenous Juris Doctorate Program (UVIC), the Law Society Truth and Reconciliation Advisory Committee and Regulatory Task Force and the Law Centre to this conversation. Panel members will share both personal and professional stories of their successes and challenges in ensuring reconciliation is an important aspect of all legal professionals’ practices. This presentation is recommended for all lawyers regardless of practice area.
Professional Development Credits: This course offers up to 2 hours of Professional Development Credits (See “How to get PD Credit” below).
When: Wednesday, January 19th, 2022, via Zoom Conferencing
Where: At your location, provided you have internet access and computer
Cost: The cost of the event is $15.00 per person paid to the “Victoria Bar Association”
There are two options to make payment:
1. Pay online through the Inns of Court event page at www.Vicbar.ca (click link)
2. Pay manually by sending a cheque to Anwar Mujtabah at:
Crease Harman LLP
800 – 1070 Douglas Street
Victoria, BC V8W 2C4
Phone: 250-388-5421, Ext. 114
How to get PD Credit
To get the 2 PD Credits, this is the process after the event has completed:
- Find Law Society “Member Services”
- Select “Member Portal” and enter your information
- Under “Education” select “Continuing Professional Development (CPD)”
- Type the group study name of “Inns of Court” into the “Course/Group Study” name box (leave dates out as this is set up with a date range)
- In the Course/Group Study box type in ‘Inns of Court”
- From the Drop down menu select “Inns of Court – Victoria”
- Select “Inns of Court Victoria Court (36 Credits) Jan.1 – December 31, 2022” or something similar as the name is undergoing a slight change.
- DO NOT TYPE IN THE NAME OF THIS COURSE WHEN APPLYING FOR CREDITS. YOU WILL NOT FIND IT. YOU DO NOT NEED THE NAME IN ORDER TO CLAIM YOUR 2 HOURS OF CREDIT.
- Under “Record your CPD hours” type ‘2’
- Under “Completion Date” type in the date you took the course
- Select the “Get Credit” Button