The Inns of Court Victoria is pleased to announce that it will be hosting a 2-hour in person seminar on the topic of “Practice and Advocacy – Views from a Justice of the Supreme Court of Canada”.
- Honourable Justice Russell Brown – Honourable Justice Russell Brown is one of the nine justices of the Supreme Court of Canada. He has been serving in this role since August 31, 2015. Honourable Russell Brown attended the University of Victoria Faculty of Law and graduated in 1995. He practiced law at Carfra Lawton in Victoria, BC, from 1996 to 2004.
- Bruce Hallsor, K.C. – Bruce Hallsor is the managing partner at Crease Harman LLP. He has appeared at all levels of court, including several appearances in the Supreme Court of Canada.
- Darren Williams – Darren Williams is the founding principal lawyer of League and Williams. He has appeared at all levels of court, including the Supreme Court of Canada.
The panelists will be discussing about practice in the Supreme Court of Canada, and advocacy in general. Honourable Justice Brown will also be describing his journey from a lawyer practicing in Victoria, BC, to his current role as a justice of the Supreme Court of Canada.
Professional Development Credits: This presentation offers up to 2 hours of Professional Development Credits (See “How to get PD Credit” below).
When: Monday, October 17, 2022
Time: Doors open at 4:30pm in the afternoon. Check–in is between 4:30pm and 5:00pm.
Location: Union Club – Centennial Ballroom
Cost: The cost of the event is $70.00 per person (includes buffet meal) paid to the “Victoria Bar Association”
There are two options to make payment:
- Pay online through the Inns of Court event page at www.Vicbar.ca(click link)
- Pay manually by sending a cheque to Anwar Mujtabah at:
Crease Harman LLP
800 – 1070 Douglas Street
Victoria, BC V8W 2C4
Phone: 250-388-5421, Ext. 114
How to get PD Credit
To get the 2 PD Credits, this is the process after the event has completed:
- Find Law Society “Member Services”
- Select “Member Portal” and enter your information
- Under “Education” select “Continuing Professional Development (CPD)”
- Type the group study name of “Inns of Court” into the “Course/Group Study” name box (leave dates out as this is set up with a date range)
- In the Course/Group Study box type in ‘Inns of Court”
- From the Drop down menu select “Inns of Court – Victoria”
- Select “Inns of Court Victoria Court (36 Credits) Jan.1 – December 31, 2022” or something similar as the name is undergoing a slight change.
- DO NOT TYPE IN THE NAME OF THIS COURSE WHEN APPLYING FOR CREDITS. YOU WILL NOT FIND IT. YOU DO NOT NEED THE NAME IN ORDER TO CLAIM YOUR 2 HOURS OF CREDIT.
- Under “Record your CPD hours” type ‘2’
- Under “Completion Date” type in the date you took the course
- Select the “Get Credit” Button