The Inns of Court Victoria is pleased to announce that it will be hosting a 2-hour in person seminar on the topic of “Napkins and Notepaper – Is it a Will? A discussion on s. 58 of the Wills, Estates and Succession Act (WESA)”
- Heather Fisher – Partner at Horne Coupar LLP. Heather has practiced primarily in the areas of estate litigation, estate planning and administration since 2002. She has acted for both executors and beneficiaries in court applications under s.58 of WESA.
- Scott Wheeler – Former deputy district registrar (retired in May 2022).
- Kirsten McGhee – Partner at Jones Emery LLP. Kirsten has a solicitor’s practice that includes wills and estates and advising executors on obtaining court orders with respect to Grants of Probate or Administration.
The panelists will be discussing issues related to s.58 of the WESA including various options available to deal with a document that may or may not be a valid will/codicil, duties of the executor, probate registry practice and procedure, notable s. 58 cases, procedure for s.58 applications, and advocacy in the courtroom.
Professional Development Credits: This course offers up to 2 hours of Professional Development Credits (See “How to get PD Credit” below).
When: Wednesday, September 21, 2022
Time: Doors open at 4:30 in the afternoon. Check–in is between 4:30 and 5:00 sharp. DO NOT BE LATE. Buffet supper at 5:10pm. Program from 5:30 to 7:30.
Location: Sticky Wicket Pub, Upstairs called the “Maple Room”
Cost: The cost of the event is $55.00 per person (includes buffet meal) paid to the “Victoria Bar Association”
There are two options to make payment:
- Pay online through the Inns of Court event page at www.Vicbar.ca (click link)
- Pay manually by sending a cheque to Anwar Mujtabah at:
Crease Harman LLP
800 – 1070 Douglas Street
Victoria, BC V8W 2C4
Phone: 250-388-5421, Ext. 114
How to get PD Credit
To get the 2 PD Credits, this is the process after the event has completed:
- Find Law Society “Member Services”
- Select “Member Portal” and enter your information
- Under “Education” select “Continuing Professional Development (CPD)”
- Type the group study name of “Inns of Court” into the “Course/Group Study” name box (leave dates out as this is set up with a date range)
- In the Course/Group Study box type in ‘Inns of Court”
- From the Drop down menu select “Inns of Court – Victoria”
- Select “Inns of Court Victoria Court (36 Credits) Jan.1 – December 31, 2022” or something similar as the name is undergoing a slight change.
- DO NOT TYPE IN THE NAME OF THIS COURSE WHEN APPLYING FOR CREDITS. YOU WILL NOT FIND IT. YOU DO NOT NEED THE NAME IN ORDER TO CLAIM YOUR 2 HOURS OF CREDIT.
- Under “Record your CPD hours” type ‘2’
- Under “Completion Date” type in the date you took the course
- Select the “Get Credit” Button